24 January 2010

How To Quickly Defrost Meat Without A Microwave

Maybe EVERYBODY knows this already, but I didn't. So this post is for all the Me's out there.
I usually don't think very far ahead about dinner. And even if I do have a plan, it's unusual for me to get an early start on that plan. So the defrosting of meat is usually done late in the game. And when I've had a microwave, it hasn't been that big of a deal. But with the microwave hissing and spitting at us for the past month, I've had to be creative. And this is what I've come up with.

Soaking the frozen meat in hot water. It works awesomely well. So well, in fact, that I actually prefer it to defrosting in a microwave where the results are uneven and you get hot spots. For a pound of ground beef, it usually takes about 30 minutes to defrost completely and I change the water once. But even larger portions of meat, as long as you can get them surrounded by hot water, take just a little longer. It's tricky with things like bagged, frozen chicken breasts because the air in the packaging makes it float so the meat doesn't get fully immersed. So you just have to remember to go flip it at some point. But I had to do that in a microwave anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin